Travel conditions on Friday morning were normal despite freezing temperatures across Acadiana.
The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development made preparations for any possible ice accumulations on bridges and overpasses on Thursday.
Those roads were pre-treated with a brine solution. See that work, below:
No roadways in Acadiana were closed on Friday.
Scott Brazda was LIVE on GMA with a look at road conditions in Lafayette and Iberia Parish.
A look at road conditions on Friday in Acadiana
Louisiana State Police Troopers will be actively patrolling the state to monitor roadway conditions. They shared a few tips for drivers:
- Avoid unnecessary travel and stay up-to-date on weather conditions
- Ensure all vehicle occupants are properly restrained
- Reduce speed and allow extra time to reach your destination
- Increase your following distance behind other vehicles
- Do not drive using the cruise control in icy conditions
- Anticipate stops (such as stop signs and traffic signals) and brake gently while stopping
- If you encounter a skid, take your foot off the accelerator and steer into the skid until you regain control
- Use low beam headlights if it is raining or sleeting
Anyone who experiences difficulties or witnesses hazardous situations while on the highway, can notify the nearest Louisiana State Police Troop by dialing *LSP (*577).
Traffic conditions can be monitored at 511la.org or the Louisiana 511 smartphone app.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers