Michigan to Travel to Barbara Kalbus Invitational This Weekend
2/22/2022 6:08:00 PM
// Bridgette Underwood
» The Wolverines play four games over three days in Irvine, Calif. at the Barbara Kalbus Invitational.
» Michigan is ranked No. 6 nationally in the CWPA Varsity Poll as of Feb. 16.
» U-M opens play against No. 13-ranked Long Beach State on Friday (Feb. 25) and then will play either No. 3 USC or No. 19 LMU on Saturday (Feb. 26). The game time will be 11:45 a.m. PT regardless of opponent.
Fri-Sun., Feb. 25-27 — Barbara Kalbus Invitational (Irvine, Calif.) | Tournament Central
Friday, Feb. 25 — vs. No. 13 Long Beach State, 4:15 p.m. PT
Saturday, Feb. 26 — vs. No. 3 USC or No. 19 LMU, 11:45 a.m. PT
Saturday, Feb. 26 — vs. TBD, 5:15 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 27 — vs. TBD, Time TBD
• Social Media: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
With five top-10 victories so far this season, the No. 6-ranked University of Michigan water polo team makes a return trip to California this weekend (Feb. 25-27) as the Wolverines compete in the Barbara Kalbus Invitational at UC Irvine. Michigan will open play on Friday (Feb. 25) against the No. 13-ranked Long Beach State 49ers and then plays either No. 3 USC or No. 19 LMU on Saturday (Feb. 26).
• Michigan posted a 2-2 record at the UCSD Triton Invitational last week, defeating Pomona Pitzer 14-2 and then-No. 10 UC Davis. That set the stage for a pair of upper-tier opponents in No. 3 UCLA and No. 6 Hawaii. UCLA emerged from the contest against Michigan with a tight 7-6 victory en route to winning the tournament, remaining undefeated and sliding into the No. 1 overall national ranking the next week. Hawaii, which had lost to Michigan the week prior, then outlasted the Wolverines in an epic overtime contest by a score of 14-13.
• Despite losing two matches, Michigan goalie Alex Brown was named the national defensive player of the week after recording 19 saves against Hawaii and 11 saves against UCLA.
• Michigan opened the 2022 campaign with a 3-1 record at the Arizona State University Cross Conference Challenge. The Wolverines defeated top-10 foes Arizona State (No. 4), UC Irvine and Fresno State, and fell to No. 5-ranked Cal.
• In the latest CWPA Varsity Poll on Feb. 16, Michigan was ranked No. 6, just behind Hawaii. U-M and Hawaii have split a pair of games so far this season.
• Michigan’s offense is led by fifth-year star Maddie O’Reilly who has demonstrated a balanced scoring effort, leading the team in both goals (24) and assists (15).
• Kayla Barone is close behind with 22 goals while Kata Utassy is right behind O’Reilly with 13 assists.
• Senior Alex Brown has started all 12 games in net for the Wolverines (5-5) and sports a .568 save percentage.
Long Beach State: The 49ers enter play at 7-7 overall on the season and have won three of their last four contests. The team is 1-6 against top-25 opponents.
The Beach split its last two games, defeating No. 17 Indiana, 12-6, before falling to the host and No. 10-ranked Fresno State Bulldogs, 12-10.
Other Competition: Other teams competing at the 16-team Triton Invitational are UCLA, Arizona State, UC Davis, Pomona Pitzer, Cal, UC Irvine, UCSD, San Diego State, USC , LBSU, LMU, Stanford, Hawaii, UCSB and Indiana.
Michigan will host the Wolverine Invitational in Ann Arbor, Mich. (March 5-6) as it welcomes Iona, Bucknell, Saint Francis and Salem to Canham Natatorium.